30 soldiers feared killed in Boko Haram raid —Military sources

S

soldiers boko-haram

Thirty-one soldiers, including an officer, were feared killed when members of Boko Haram invaded a military base in Borno State on Thursday.

An agency report added that the officers and 17 soldiers were seriously wounded during the invasion of the base by scores of the Islamic sect fighters on the military unit in Zari, a small community North of Maiduguri and near the border with the Republic of Niger.

Quoting military sources, the agency said the insurgents overran the unit in 12 gun trucks, accompanied by other fighters who came on foot, at about 4:30 p.m. on Thursday.

The report said the Nigerian army had on several occasions disputed reports on losses to Boko Haram and in some cases played them down.

“They came in large numbers in trucks and carrying heavy weapons and engaged soldiers in a battle that lasted for an hour,” a military officer said.

“We lost at least 30 men,” the officer said, adding that the attack took place at around 4:00 pm.

“They overwhelmed the troops who were forced to temporarily withdraw before reinforcements arrived,” said the officer who asked not to be named because he was not authorised to speak.

Boko Haram has intensified attacks on military targets in recent months.

The attacks appear to undermine repeated claims by the military that Boko Haram had been defeated.

The militants took weapons and military equipment before they were pushed out of the base by troops with aerial support, said a second military source who gave a similar death toll.

The militants were pursued and bombarded by a fighter jet, said the military sources.

“The terrorists also suffered heavy casualty from the bombardment,” one of the military officers said.

Zari is located 30 kilometres (20 miles) from the town of Damasak on the border with Niger.

The jihadists are thought to have attacked the base from the nearby Garunda village, where 17 troops were killed and 14 injured in an attack on another military base last month, the sources said.

In a statement late Friday the military confirmed troops fought Boko Haram “insurgents…on rampage to loot the community and extort money from villagers.”

When contacted on the casualty figure suffered by the by the troops, the Army spokesman, Brigadier General Texas Chukwu, said the army has reacted on the incident.

According to him, several Book Haram terrorists were neutralised while their arms and other equipment were destroyed.

General Chukwu was, however ,silent on the casualty figure suffered by the troops.

He added that the insurgents were on the rampage to loot the community and extort money from villagers but met with a fierce resistance by troops who were supported by the Air Task Force.

The Army spokesman added that “several members of Boko Haram fighters were neutralised and weapons destroyed during the encounter.”

He said further that Zari village and the surrounding communities have been stabilised and normalcy restored while the troops have also been reinforced to conduct more robust fighting patrol in the general area.

 Army silent on casualties

“Troops…have successfully routed Boko Haram insurgents in an encounter that ensued yesterday evening at Zari village,” the military said in the statement.

It did not speak of military casualties and the raid on the base but maintained “several Boko Haram fighters and weapons” were destroyed in the fight.

The Nigerian army has on several occasions disputed reports on losses to Boko Haram and has in some cases played them down.

On July 14 Boko Haram militants overran a military base in Jilli village, in neighbouringYobe state when dozens of troops were said to be been killed, wounded or missing.

The army at the time conceded the base was attacked but said troops remobilised and succeeded in repelling the attackers.

In a short statement on Wednesday, IS-affiliated Boko Haram jihadists claimed to have killed “several” Nigerian troops in mortar strikes on a military base in the town of Arge in the Lake Chad area.

AFP could not independently verify the claim.

The Boko Haram insurgency which is in its ninth year has left 20,000 people dead and displaced 2.6 million.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*