We the selected members of the pro-democracy and human rights community under the various platforms of the below mentioned civil society groups including those that accredited for Election Observer Mission by the UK Electoral Commission. Equally some of us served as Members of INEC Monitoring and Observation Board Anambra and FCT Area Council Election 2010
As stakeholders in the electoral process, we view with great concern and extreme disappointment the recent campaign of calumny, distraction and mischief against the indefatigable Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof Mahmoud Yakubu by disgruntled political elements.
Ordinarily, the organizations will not have waded into the matter but the manner in which the blackmailers are going about their innuendos and assault due to the credibility of the person against Prof Mahmoud. We are therefore constrained to issue the following statement.
1. We strongly condemn the unfolding campaign of blackmail against Prof Yakubu in strongest terms. The allegation being orchestrated by is part of a grand design at stonewalling his clearance by the Senate for another five year term.
2. Equally, very few serious minded democrats can continue to ignore the tantrums being propagated by desperate political elements in continuation of their dirt fight against Prof Yakubu for refusal to compromise with them.
3. From all available information, it has become clear that purvoyers of campaign of distraction against are in cahoot with some forces nursing a dark agenda to subvert the electoral process as we are gradually building up to the 2023 general election.
4. A critical survey of the motive, tactics and the implementation strategies of this grand design has equally laid bare a perfidious plot by a mischievous gang to create and exploit the controversy to blackmail, ridicule and undermine the Prof Yakubu for the purpose of blackmailing him out of office.
5. We contend that the recent onslaught against Prof Yakubu is nothing but a hoax disguised as a clarion call to duty. It is part of the larger agenda by cash and carry politicians to smuggle their anointed candidate through the back door as election rigging instrument.
6. It is on record that Prof Yakubu’s ingenuity and unreserved committment towards electoral fidelity and excellence remains the driving force of INEC under his leadership.
7. Their game plan is to sow the seed of discord in order to impose a lilly livered character ready to compromise the interest of the country with powers. The idea for the installation a puppet is create an avenue for the foreign powers to have access to the electoral data base and fingerprint of all registered voters in Nigeria, they believe that Prof Yakubu can never patronize such unpatriotic agenda of pretender kings desperately craving for imaginary empires.
8. Happily and contrary to insinuations and deliberate misconceptions being orchestrated by agents of stagnation and distraction, Prof Yakubu instituted a culture of openness, due process and transparency in the Commission beyond reproach.
9. Moreover, majority of Nigerians, stakeholders in the electoral process and other Chairmen of various Electoral Commission across West Africa have described as a reformer imbued with competence and efficiency worthy of emulation, having held him in very high esteem and considered him eminently qualified of such positions.
10. We feel duty bound, as citizens of Nigeria to challenge his blackmailers to state the reason why they are advertising ignorance and being allergic to innovative ideas entrched by Yakubu that seek to ender growth?
11. As an educationist and strict disciplinarian, the electoral management body under his watch exhibited excellent character for the good of beloved country. It is principle that rules his engagement in the day to day administration of the Commission consisting men of wavering and time tested human rights crusaders and expertd in the field of electoral righteousness in the person of Barr Festus Okoye and Prof Sam Egwu among others.
12. The merchants of blackmail are up in arms with intent to circumvent efforts by Prof Yakubu to further bring sanity and due process in the process of revolutionising the day to administration of the electoral umpire.
13. The enemies of democracy have launched their campaign against Prof Yakubu in order to cause undue distraction to efforts of the Chairman aimed curtailing election riggers with a holistic approach. This, we found very disturbing, despicable, and unwarranted.
14. We resolve to keep the records straight and to call the politicians to discard their revisionist, unpatriotic and COVID-19 inspired game plan forth with.
15. It is against this background that we to pass a vote of confidence in Prof Yakubu in view of revolution and transparency he has instituted in the Commission. Equally, selection of the BPP accredited observers in the procurement process have accorded him such gesture. We are, therefore, seizing this medium to encourage the Senate of the Federal Republic to confirm his reappointment without further delay. We urge him never to give up reformist agenda and never to get distracted on his duty post.
Comrade Wale Adegoke
Herald for Anti Corruption and Public Morality
Comrade Farouk Umar
Transparency Center Network
Comrade Tony Chigbo
Comrade Musa Abdullahi
Citizens League for the Protection of Democracy